Monday, January 12, 2009

2 more reviews

Thanks to the babysitting of my Mother, Hayley and I were able to catch a couple of movies Saturday night and I thought I would share what I thought about them.

The Reader: Horribly Depressing in every way possible. If you are hanging on by a thin thread then do not see this movie. Stephan Daltry continues to make quality movies and needs to be considered for all these awards being thrown about, maybe next time. Kate Winslet is heart breaking as a woman afraid to admit she doesn't know how to read and it's amazing to see what some people will do to keep things secret. David Kross plays The Boy she seduces and does a brilliant job of portraying someone learning to understand why people do some of the maddening things they do. I don't understand why he isn't getting more consideration for awards either. Overall the acting and Stylistic look of the movie is excellent, even though the story it self is quite slow and depressing. I would have to give this one a B+.

Doubt: Movies based on plays usually come off a little slow, thankfully this one does no such thing. Roger Deakins needs to win a academy award for this movie. It was beautifully shot. The acting was even better then I had heard, I am not usually a huge Meryl Streep fan but she was terrifying in the role of School Principal. Phillip Seymour Hoffman gives a performance that is going largely unnoticed do to other actors in other movies having great years, but this is easily one of his best parts. Viola Davis is getting a lot of press playing the mother of a boy who is believed to have a inappropriate relationship with Hoffman's Priest, She is very good in the 5 minutes of Screen time that she gets, but I would have to say that Amy Adams easily holds her own as a naive young nun, and should be getting more attention for such a understated roll. The movie is 2 hours long, but moves very quickly with fast dialogue and great performances. Probably third on my Top five list for this year behind Slumdog and Dark Knight. A

No comments: